Click on Images to view
Fort Willaim to Mallaig
Described as one of the great railway journeys of the world this 84 mile round trip takes you past a list of impressive extremes. Starting near the highest mountain in Britain, Ben Nevis, it visits Britain's most westerly mainland railway station, Arisaig; passes close by the deepest freshwater loch in Britain, Loch Morar and the shortest river in Britain, River Morar, finally arriving next to the deepest seawater loch in Europe, Loch Nevis!
The engine featured in this collection is Ex LMS Black 5 "45231"
The engine featured in this collection is Ex LMS Black 5 "45407 & 44871
About the locos
45231 "The Sherwood Forester"
5231 was built by Armstrong – Whitworth in 1936. She spent most of her early life at Patricroft shed, working mainly to North Wales and Leeds After nationalisation in 1948, she was renumbered 45231 by British Railways.
She was transferred to Northampton in October 1954, but was only officially there for a month — such allocation changes were often only carried out on paper — and then transferred to Aston , where she remained for nine years. 45231 was officially transferred to Rugby in February 1963, but was moved a short time later (July) to Chester. She stayed at Chester until closure of Chester shed in April 1967. She was then transferred to Speke Junction and finally Carnforth, where 45231 lasted until the last day of steam on BR in August 1968
She was sold by BR directly into preservation and was restored at Carnforth to LMS livery.
5231 was sold to the GCR in late 1996, who repainted it in BR lined black in 1997. She also acquired a new set of nameplates, this time more simply The Sherwood Forester. The loco is now privately owned and spends her time between Fort William , Carnforth and Bury.
Black 5 45407 'The Lancashire Fusilier'
One of the final Black 5s in operation, she was withdrawn on 4 August 1968. Dr Peter Beet, the co-founder of Steamtown, Carnforth with Sir Bill McAlpine, and business partner David Davis, visited Lostock Hall MPD to choose a locomotive to save, selecting No.45407. Davis bought the locomotive for £3,300, and it became part of the Steamtown collection, where for some time it was painted in Furness Railway Indian red livery.
In 1974 it was bought by Paddy Smith, who returned it to lined BR mixed-traffic black. He operated the engine on various enthusiast tours, including the Settle-Carlisle Line, the Cambrian Coast Express, the Crewe to Holyhead Line; and The Jacobite between Fort William to Mallaig, where it spent three seasons in the late 1980s. After the last season in Scotland, No.45407 was returned to Carnforth, and then moved to the East Lancashire Railway to run out the last three years of its boiler certificate
In 1997 Ian Riley bought the engine, and had it overhauled at his railway engineering works, Riley and Son, Bury. The works included a new tender with greater water capacity, the fitting of air brake equipment to enable the engine to haul modern coaching stock. and the fitting of A.W.S. to comply with Railtrack’s modern Safety and Signaling requirements
K1 62005 " Lord of the Isles"
K1 62005 was designed by the London and North Eastern Railway, built by the North British Locomotive Company in their Queen’s Park Works, Glasgow as NBL no 26609 and delivered to the fledgling British Railways in June 1949. Loco 62005, like all of the class went for running in to Eastfield shed, Glasgow. From there it went first to Darlington, then Heaton in Sept 49, back to Darlington in July 52, Ardsley in June 59, York in August 59, North Blyth in March 66, Tyne Dock in May 67 and finally Holbeck in September 67. It was condemned on 30thDecember 1967 .
eventually sold to a consortium of Viscount Garnock, Geoff Drury, Brian Hollingsworth and George Nissen on 30th May 1969 for the boiler to be saved as a spare for the K4 61994 (LNER 3442) The Great Marquess, which they had bought. No 62005 had only survived until then because it had been used for a brief period as a temporary stationary boiler on the ICI North Tees Works. The boiler was not needed for the K4 so the loco was kindly donated to the infant but ambitious NELPG in 1972 and was delivered to BR’s Thornaby Depot on 14th June of that year.